Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Best Fruit And Veggie Wash Already In Your Pantry!




When I was about 12 or so, while in the grocery store with my mom, I came across a bottle of what I thought had to be absolute magic. It was a "pesticide remover"! It came in a spray bottle that was strategically placed between the cucumbers and the apples. 

I remember truing to sneak it into the cart and I remember my mother reaching through to it's hiding place and setting it back. She said to me, "Anything that is sold to take off chemicals, is probably also a chemical." I thought to myself, "No, that won't happen! That isn't fair!" but lo and behold, I never saw that product again. 

Was she right? I'm not positive, but I do know, it got me thinking. "What else can do the job?" After doing a bit of research, I found this amazing and simple recipe for a fruit and vegetable wash/soak! 


What you'll need:

A clean tub, bucket, or sink
Water
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar

  1. Place your fruit and or vegetables in your bucket and cover with water. Pour in the vinegar and let sit for at least 20 minutes.*if you are soaking berries, no more than 10 minutes is necessary* 

  2. Remove your fruit and or vegetables from the water and rinse thoroughly.  


You should see and feel a difference in your fruit and or vegetables immediately. For the particular batch I soaked in the picture, a fine grit had sunken to the bottom of the sink and the water's appearance was not characteristic.  

I really hope this helped! Ever since I figured this out, I am always soaking something!

Happy soaking!






No comments:

Post a Comment